The editorial consultancy service is currently on a hiatus while I complete a PhD on female sexual dysfunction at Edinburgh University. Happy writing everyone!
The saying is that everyone has a book in them. Some people are happy to leave it forever dormant while others put pen to paper, mouth to dictaphone, and fingers to keyboard. Should you decide to write that book, then that’s where we can assist.
The aim of our service is to enable you to achieve the highest possible standard as a writer, to create work of a publishable calibre, by providing a technical analysis of your work.
The service will provide you with one-to-one, ongoing assistance and mentoring, working with the same editor throughout. Our feedback will be detailed and comprehensive, combining points on broader aspects of the work and specific comments made throughout the manuscript.
Our Editing Service will address such key issues as:
• Are your characters intriguing?
• Are they original or do they contain elements of cliché?
• How well are they developed?
• Are they people or just caricatures?
• Are they well-observed?
• Is their tale absorbing?
• Are their interactions interesting? Do they serve a purpose?
• Even the most apparently ordinary people can be surprising. What evidence is there of you having explored this?
• The readers need to be absorbed. Are they likely to be?
• Is your plot well-paced and developed or is the reader likely to lose interest?
• Is it compelling?
• Is there material superfluous to the narrative? If so, what can be cut without reducing the overall impact?
• Is your plot original or does it appear contrived, borrowing heavily from other works of a similar genre?
• Does it surprise reader expectations?
• If you wish to explore themes through your novel, how well are they integrated into the narrative?
• Are they a part of the narrative or slightly laboured additions to it?
• Do they enhance your work or reduce its appeal, restricting it to a limited genre and audience?
• How skilled are your descriptions?
• Does your use of language enhance the imagery or does it detract from it by, for example, crowding descriptions?
• Are your descriptions original?
• Do you make excessive use of such literary devices as simile and metaphor?
• Is your style excessively influenced by the work of other writers?
• It is perfectly acceptable to require the reader to use their imagination, but will your use of language make it necessary to decipher your meaning?
• Dialogue should be researched in order to be realistic. Is there evidence of you having done this? Is it realistic?
• Is it punctuated correctly?
• Do the language and speech patterns used reflect the way in which people actually speak?
• Is it appropriate to the setting?
• Is it clichéd?
For a fee of £50, we provide a Read-Through Report Service, intended to give you a valuable insight into your work without the cost of a full edit. Our Report will detail your work’s strengths and the areas with which we could assist. You will also be provided with a quote for a Full Edit of the full manuscript.
Should you go on to submit a manuscript of over 50,000 words for a Full Edit, the £50 paid for the Read-Through Report will be deducted from the fee.
SUBMITTING YOUR WORK TO US
Please note, we deal only with electronic copies, enabling us to insert clear, concise, and detailed comments throughout the manuscript onscreen. They should be submitted in .doc format, double spaced, in 12-point Times New Roman, with the title, contact details, and word count on the first page.
Based on 10,000 words – £50
Novel – Full edit
10,000 words plus synopsis – £100
20,000 words plus synopsis – £175
£2.50 per additional 1000 words
Short Story- Full edit
Up to 5000 words – £30
Poetry – Full edit
Up to 10 poems – £100
Up to 20 poems – £150